Welcome to the next little challenge of this spring cleaning series!
How's that writing life of yours feeling? A bit cleaner? A bit brighter? Happier? High five!
Let's start today's challenge off with an honest confession: I'm much more of an analog girl than a digital one.
Don't get me wrong: I love what technology is able to do (letting me hang out with you, for instance!), but I'm much more comfortable with tangible, tactile things.
Paper, pens, physical books. I know where I'm at with all that stuff.
... Which is probably why it's easy for me to let my digital world get out of hand pretty dang quickly.
Our virtual and online landscapes require maintenance, just like everything else. But it's so easy to let things go undone!
It's basically invisible, after all, which means that we're not physically confronted with the untidiness. But, if you're like me, you might be feeling a kind of ... digital chaos.
There are so many things I've put off or left undone or haven't checked on. (It's a long list. Like: embarrassingly long.)
So whenever I'm on my computer, or doing anything online, I feel the pressure of allllllllll the little things I've been putting off.
Kinda makes it hard to get the important stuff done, you know?
So let's take today to clean up our digital landscape!
The simplest way to round up everything that needs to be done is, of course, make a list!
(Fellow list nerds: Yes, you can absolutely break out the good coffee and the excellent notepads and pens for this. Everyone else: just carry on as planned, and ignore our maniacal laughter. It's all good.)
All set? Let's jot down everything that comes to mind. Some places to start:
- computer maintenance: anything your system needs? new hardware? or any old cords and expired batteries to get rid of?
- computer files: is your desktop cluttered with documents, just like mine?? Let's clean 'em up! Or is your machine chugging slowly because it's clogged with photos you've been meaning to go through? Today's the day!
- software: security updates? new versions to install? (Am I the only one who puts this off forever?) any software you need to buy?
- email accounts: time to deal with any old accounts you want to delete and close down, address books you want to purge, email newsletters you want to unsubscribe from, passwords to update, other security protocols you've been meaning to deal with...
- websites you manage: any design issues that are bugging you? pages that are begging for an update? how's your about page, or your profile section? any sidebars that need cleaning up?
- social media: profile pictures to update, freshening up your personal information, cleaning up any photos you've stored, answering any outstanding messages...
- online friendships: any online buddies you've been meaning to contact? replies you want to send? questions you've wanted to ask, or connections you want to make? groups you want to update?
There's so much more going on in the digital arena than I can possibly grasp (and expanding all the time!), so my bulleted list is just a starting point.
You know best what you need: it's the thing that you keep forgetting to do, the stuff that you remember only when you're driving, or you're taking a shower, or you're in the middle of something else and you can't get to it right away.
Get it all written down, all in one place.
Whew!! Seeing everything on your mind can be pretty daunting, but it's also a relief. Now we can deal with it!
And just like when we cleaned up our work spaces: you can choose how big you make this catch-up.
If it's a super long list, try just tackling half, or a third.
If you're short on time, pick the three biggest wins. What takes the least time, but will make the most impact? Start with those!
Whatever you can fix, catch up, install, delete, consolidate, or update quickly: do it!
But no matter what you decide to do, today is a great day to keep all your amazing words and ideas safe by ... backing up your computer.
Tell me I'm not the only person who perennially forgets to do that! Yikes!
... But no excuses. Every little lionheart has to do this today. Okay? Your stories are too precious to risk a computer glitch.
There!! Now let's sit back and enjoy our cleaner, safer, happier, digital world!