Oh my gosh. It's finally September.
I belong to that group that counts autumn as their favorite season. I always wish that it were one of the longer seasons... instead of a little blip between sweating and shivering. But I'll celebrate every day of it as soon as it's here!
To be honest, September usually runs pretty warm: we're basically in the upper 70s til October. Seriously. That should not be.
Summer just hangs on around here. I start getting that itchy feeling you get when you're trapped in a corner talking to someone that mayyyyybe you're ready to be done talking to? That anxious sort of uh-huh-uh-huh-I-really-need-to-move-on-now head nod and wincing grin?
Yeah, summer. That's what I'm doing. Time to move on.
I'm edging toward fall, as best I can. It's still gonna be awhile before I can get away with wearing an alpaca scarf (rats!), but until then, here's a not-at-all complete list of everything I'll be embracing this autumn:
- apple cider
- and, of course, scarves, alpaca or otherwise
- rainy days
- knitting!! okay, crocheting, you too. Let's get granny-squaring.
- curling up with an Agatha Christie mystery
- (or really, any mystery at all)
- watching college football with the fam... yelling at the TV has its therapeutic effect.
- long walks in our neighborhood with cooler weather... no more sweating!
- watching our sweet gum turn every possible color...
- bringing out all the wintery afghans
- that long-division, back-to-school feel in the air makes me feel vicariously industrious
- have I mentioned knitting??
- pumpkin EVERYTHING... doughnuts, bread, cookies, pie, mashed potatoes (really!), and of course,
- the fall coffee drinks. YES. Yes I would like extra cinnamon on top, thank you.
- also? MAPLE.
- the sounds of leaves crunching underfoot
- kettle corn
- visiting the local apple orchards... the dizzying scent of sun on ripe apples, mmmmmm...
- all those fall pies, baby. Pear-Fig-Hazelnut, Cranberry-Pear, Caramel-Apple, Pecan...
- did I mention rainy days?? My heart lifts off every time it rains.
- the sounds of our high school marching band, practicing across town... so many memories!
- sitting around a bonfire with friends, under a cool night sky
- and oh, it's comfort food season again! (Basically everything that happens in an autumn kitchen: I adore.)
- time to rewatch Anne of Green Gables, am I right?
- and a host of other fall movies... Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom come to mind. Oh! And the spooky Tim Burton flicks. (Corpse Bride, anyone?)
- the sound of the wind in the pine trees by my window... oh, the blustery days of autumn!
- caramel apples?? Caramel apples.
- and time to start scheming for Christmas! (Did I actually say that.)
... Well that was stupid. Now I'm practically hyperventilating, and it's still suffocating summer-mode outside.